Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Five Reasons to Allows Students to Use Cell Phones in Class

I thought that this post brought up a lot of valid points as to why students should be allowed to use their cell phones in class. I think that one of the most important points is that when we consider the real world, or preparing our students for future jobs, there isn't a job where the use of a cell phone can't be handy. I know for myself I have used my phone many times to look up information to answer questions, or define vocabulary on the spot, or find an address/phone number for a field trip. I also liked the point about collaboration. Smart phones allow for collaboration to happen at students fingertips. If they are fluent in one form of communication, such as texting, or video chatting, why shouldn't students use these skills to increase collaboration in school projects. Cell phones are also "free technology" supplied by the students. Students can take notes, read and receive e-mail and documents, and watch videos for a flipped classroom on their cell phones. I also think it is important to "go with the flow" of technology use among our students rather than trying to fight it. As teachers, we can get more students involved academically by engaging them through avenues that they are comfortable with, and for many students, this is through their phones.

http://theinnovativeeducator.blogspot.com/2012/07/5-reasons-to-allow-students-to-use-cell.html


No comments:

Post a Comment