Sunday, June 17, 2012


Provide a short summary of the EdReach podcast you listen to. Are podcasts something you would consider for professional learning in the future?

I listened to the podcast Mobile Reach #35- School Is Out, But The Learning Does Not End. In this podcast, three teachers talk about their picks of best educational apps for students to use over summer vacation. The first speaker talks about an app called “Kids Journal”, where students can keep a daily log and write about where they are going and what they are doing during the summer and upload videos and pictures as well. When you are done with summer vacation, you can print out the journal as well. This app is for K-3rd grade, which I thought was cool of them to mention. The next teacher talked about the new app for Symbaloo, which is a personal learning environment for teachers to visually organize and share the best websites with their students. The teacher talks about web mixes, and how the visual nature of the program really helps students find what they are looking for. The third teacher talks about Google maps and creating custom maps. He explained that while taking a road trip and visiting various places, you can save the places you are going in Google maps and pull them up when you are going from one place to another.



I think podcasts are something that I would consider for professional learning in the future because it’s another way to get information and save time. So instead of sitting in front of the computer for hours, drying up my eyeballs doing research, I can listen to several podcasts and get current and relative information. It’s great for me personally because I am not very good at multitasking, but I can listen to a podcast while folding my laundry or working on an arts project example for my class. For me it’s about getting the newest information in the easiest way possible, because teachers don’t have a lot of time to research and read loads of articles.

2 comments:

  1. Leigh,
    Great point about multitasking while listening to a podcast. I tend to listen to podcasts when I am working on something for school...although I might be doing 2 or 3 things, I am focused on learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Multitasking...it's a teacher must-have quality!

    "So instead of sitting in front of the computer for hours, drying up my eyeballs doing research..."- haha Leigh, you put this perfectly!

    ReplyDelete